A “BEAUTIFUL” baby boy suffocated in a tragic accident after a plastic nappy bag covered his face and mouth while he slept, an inquest heard.

Bradley Kutenda Kudare was found unresponsive in his cot with the bag over his face by his mother Ruvimbo Clarah Mupesa on the morning of July 31 last year.

And it has since been revealed that baby Bradley’s death is not the only one in such circumstances.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has previously warned of the dangers of nappy sacks after reports of at least 17 deaths associated with the bags.

The inquest heard that Mrs Mupesa took the five-month-old upstairs to her husband, Prichard Kudare, who tried to revive the baby.

An ambulance was called to the family’s home in Failsworth and paramedics took over CPR while taking Bradley to the Royal Oldham Hospital.

Despite numerous attempts to revive Bradley, he died at the hospital.

The inquest heard that Bradley had been enjoying his usual morning routine, waking up around 7am and having his feed and nappy change.

He then played with his family before being placed in a travel cot in the living room downstairs for his morning sleep.

Bradley was regularly checked by his mother while he slept, with the last check coming just 40 minutes before he was found unresponsive.

The inquest heard a statement from Mrs Mupesa, who described that “one or two nappies, baby wipes and nappy bags” were also in a box within the cot.

The statement added that she “did not realise Bradley was old enough to grab and pick up things”, although the inquest could not conclude how the nappy bag had ended up over the baby’s face.

A post mortem examination, carried out by Dr Charles Wilson, consultant forensic pathologist, and Dr Melanie Newbold, consultant paediatric pathologist, found no evidence of natural disease or injuries and described him as a “healthy, well-fed baby”.

The cause of death was given as plastic bag asphyxia.

Det Chief Insp James Faulkner of GMP’s Oldham borough confirmed that a special procedural investigation had been launched as part of protocol following the sudden unexplained death of a child.

Summing up the findings of the investigation, he said: “There was no third party involved in this case and there was no sign of neglect.

“It was a tragic accident.”

Giving evidence, Bradley’s father Mr Kudare, a health and safety advisor, said: “He was a good baby and a good sleeper, a beautiful young boy.

“I would play with him until the evening and he would sleep until the next morning.

“Our family are devastated.”

Giving a conclusion of accidental death, Coroner Peter Sigee said: “Bradley had been a happy and healthy baby who was well nourished and cared for.”

“My condolences go to all of Bradley’s family.

“I am sorry for your loss and that I had to meet you in these circumstances”

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has issued guidance to parents about avoiding the danger of suffocation and choking, including always keep nappy sacks and other plastic bags and wrapping away from babies and young children.

Parents are also advised not to place nappy sacks within a baby’s reach or in a cot, pram or buggy