A MAN suffered flash burns to his face and neck and smoke inhalation while attempting to tackle a blaze after his TV caught fire.

The 67-year-old was given oxygen by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service trauma technicians until paramedics arrived following the incident in Bridport Avenue on the Oldham/New Moston border on Tuesday.

He was taken to Royal Oldham Hospital.

According to firefighter Sam Merriot, from Chadderton Fire Station - which attended along with pumps from Hollins and Blackley at around 12.30pm - the victim had to be dragged from his home by a neighbour who spotted smoke.

Firefighter Merriot said it appears the man had gone into his kitchen and, when he returned to the lounge, he discovered the TV had burst into flames which he then tried to extinguish himself.

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus and four hose reels to put out the blaze.

There was fire damage to the lounge and smoke had filled the house.

Firefighter Merriot stressed the importance of fire safety measures in the home saying: "It's important to be aware to regularly check smoke alarms are working properly. Luckily this incident happened during the day but had it occurred at night it could have been fatal."