Jonathan Benteke’s second half strike, followed by a Callum Lang injury time effort claimed victory for Latics - who played half the match against ten men Cheltenham Town.

With both sides without a league win in over a month and goals a problem, three points were at a premium.

Latics’ boss Frankie Bunn had rued a lack of clinical finishing in front of goal in Saturday’s home defeat to Port Vale.

And with top scorer Sam Surridge out with a hamstring tear he looked to lone striker Chris O’Grady to increase their accuracy.

It was the home side who started the brightest and Jose Baxter showed his intent shortly after kick-off but pulled his left-footed effort wide of the post.

Baxter had a much clearer opportunity moments later, O’Grady played a pinpoint low ball to him but Baxter couldn’t strike cleanly and Robins’ defender Johnny Mullins got a block in.

It was Latics piling on the pressure, O’Grady this time with a chance but woefully slicing his shot out for a throw.

William Boyle’s glancing header was the only real first half opportunity for the visitors, but even that did not trouble Daniel Iverson in the Oldham goal.

Despite a quiet period in the middle of the half the home side ended the first half as they had started it, pushing for the opening goal.

In the space of a minute Baxter failed to latch onto a Gevaro Nepumuceno cross, and then the latter missed a gilt edged opportunity 12 yards out to open the scoring.

Turning down the chance to shoot first time he cut inside but that gave time for the defence to get back and his shot was blocked.

George Edmundson missed a good chance with a header from a corner and it looked like the half was drawing to a close.

But then the most significant moment of the half courtesy of Cheltenham’s Sam Jones.

First he made a rash challenge on Latics’ midfielder Christopher Missilou. As the referee Ben Toner reached into his pocket for a yellow card, Jones squared up to Baxter.

It looked innocuous enough until Jones nodded his head towards Baxter and Toner reached for his red on the stroke of half time.

After the restart Oldham struggled to make their extra man count, much to the dismay of the home faithful. The visitors frustrating them by getting every man behind the ball.

It wasn’t until the hour mark when Latics had their first shot on goal after the break. Nepumuceno’s curling effort forcing Robins’ keeper Scott Flinders into a good save down to his right.

Then the all important breakthrough. Rob Hunt’s teasing ball across the six yard box found the right boot of substitute Benteke who slid in and slid the ball to the left of the stranded Flinders.

Lang put the icing on the cake in injury time, showing a supreme piece of skill on the edge of the area and firing a low shot into the back of the net.

Referee: Ben Toner 8/10

Attendance: 2,865

Oldham Athletic: (4-4-1-1): Iverson 6; Hunt 7, Edmundson 6, Clarke © 5, Hamer 7; Nepumenco 7, Gardner 7, Missilou 5, Lang 7; Baxter 7 (Benteke 64, 7); O’Grady 5 (Miller 54, 5).

Subs not used: Dummigan, Graham, Branger-Engone, Sheridan, McFarlane.

Cheltenham Town (4-3-3): Flinders 6; Hussey 6, Boyle 7, Mullins © 7, Alcock 6; Clements 5 (Barnett 66, 5), Atangana 6, Broom 5; Maddox 5 (Addai 82, 5), Jones 4, Varney 6.

Subs not used: Tozer, McAlinden, Lovett, Forster, Field.

James Toney