A FIREFIGHTERS have issued advice over safe use of toasters and the importance of smoke alarms following a kitchen blaze at a home in Chadderton.

They were called to the detached home in Oak Close on Monday (September 9) at 11.45am and were confronted by the heavily smokelogged home.

It is understood the residents of the home were about to move house.

A smoke alarm alerted one of the owners of the home, a man in his 50s.

A spokesman from Chadderton fire station said the cause of the fire was believed to be a faulty toaster.

"The fire has destroyed the kitchen and the rest of the house is severely smoke damaged," he said. "We would warn everyone to make sure toasters are not positioned underneath cupboards and to make sure their smoke alarms are fitted and with a battery in them.

"We were on the scene of this incident for several hours and there was a lot of smoke in the Close when we arrived."