FIREFIGHTERS were needed to deal with a chemical leak at a Chadderton company specialising in microchip technology yesterday (Thursday, September 19).

Workers at Diodes Zetex Semiconductors Ltd at Benfield Industrial Unit in Stockfield Road were evacuated after its power supply failed, knocking out the cooling system for the chemicals, which gave out toxic fumes.

Crews from Oldham and Chadderton were called to the site at 6.30pm and wore chemical protection suits and breathing apparatus to deal with the leak.

No-one was injured.