Residents have been evacuated from their homes after a fire broke out in a high rise building in Bolton town centre.

A number of fire crews were dispatched to The Cube student accommodation block in Bradshawgate on Friday evening.

READ MORE: Help offered  to residents caught out by huge blaze 

Flames were seen bursting out of a flat on one of the higher floors and eyewitnesses said residents have been evacuated.

One eyewitness, Dominic Walsh said people were sheltering in The Balmoral pub as emergency crews dealt with the blaze.

Police say a number of road closures are in place and have advised people to avoid the area. 

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said: "At 20.29 on November 15, 2019, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at a 6-storey building on Bradshawgate, Bolton. 

"There are 25 fire engines and two arial appliances currently at the scene and firefighters are tackling the blaze using multiple jets. 

"Local residents are being asked to keep their windows and doors shut and avoid the area where possible."