FIREFIGHTERS prevented a potentially serious house fire after discovering a blazing birds' nest in the chimney of a home in Springhead.

They were called to the terraced home in Kowsley Drive at about 7pm on Saturday night after the woman resident reported smoke coming from the chimney.

Although she only had a gas fire, she was worried after seeing the smoke.

The crew from Chadderton used ladders to scale the roof before discovering the nest which had caught fire.

A spokesman said: "This could have been had tragic consequences, as the nest could have dropped down the chimney and created a more serious fire inside the house.

"It underlines the importance of having chimneys swept, even if you are only using a gas fire."