A VIOLENT thug stabbed a man following a chase, threw a woman down a flight of stairs and started a pub fight which left two men with knife wounds.

Shaun Carruthers, who was described as having a terrible temper, was jailed for five years at Bolton Crown Court for the series of savage attacks.

The court heard how a woman, who lived in the same block of flats on Bamford Street, Royton, as 34-year-old Carruthers’ ex-partner, was getting ready for bed on April 14, 2018, when she heard screaming.

A woman, with smashed glasses and accompanied by a small, partially-clothed young girl, knocked on her door and the Good Samaritan neighbour decided to head for the woman’s flat to get the child more clothing.

But she was met by a furious Carruthers, who threw her down the stairs, leaving her with a fractured shoulder bone.

Carruthers, of Fairbourne Walk, Oldham, failed to turn up for his trial but subsequently admitted causing actual bodily harm.

Robert Smith, prosecuting, told how the month following the assault, Carruthers became involved in a row over a spilled drink at the Hope and Anchor pub in Royton, where customers had gathered to watch the Champions League final.

Carruthers left but returned later with others and started a brawl in the beer garden, which left two men needing stitches for stab wounds. Carruthers was not accused of causing the injuries, but pleaded guilty to violent disorder.

Then, while on bail for the two previous crimes, on October 24, 2019, he came across Wayne Smith on Radcliffe Street near Royton Park.

Judge Timothy Stead heard that there was bad feeling between the two men and Carruthers chased his victim through streets, where Mr Smith was said to have fallen in Byron Street and Carruthers claimed he tripped, tumbling on top of him, with the knife stabbing him in the chest.

Carruthers admitted causing grievous bodily harm and possessing a knife but a jury found him not guilty of the more serious offence of intentionally causing the injury.

“The jury felt that was the case, or might have been the case and I will honour that,” said Judge Timothy Stead, who sentenced Carruthers to a total of five years in prison.

Ellen Shaw, defending, told the court that Carruthers was a father-of-three who had worked as a joiner but his life became “chaotic” in 2018 when he lost his job and his home.