Shaw racing cyclist Matt Walls has sent an upbeat message to well-wishers after being involved in a terrifying crash at the Commonwealth Games.

The 24-year-old Olympic omnium champion was catapulted over the barriers and into the crowds at the Lee Valley VeloPark on Sunday after trying to avoid a pileup on the track.

A team of medics worked on his injuries for 40 minutes behind barricades while the audience was evacuated from the area.

Matt was taken to hospital but has now been discharged after having 10 stitches inserted in a wound to his forehead. This morning he Tweeted: “Thank you everyone for the messages and support!

“I’ve somehow come away with no serious injuries just a few stitches and pretty banged up.

“I really hope everyone else involved is ok including the spectators that may have been injured.”

The Oldham Times:

A photo of the crash on Sunday. 

Commenting on the crash, Matt’s father Larry, who had stayed in Shaw, said: “I was watching the Games live on TV.

“Matt’s mother, Lorraine ran from the hotel to the Velodrome after hearing about crash.

“It was a horrible time but after 45 minutes, we heard Matt was conscious. Lorraine and Matt’s girlfriend Fleur visited him in hospital, and thankfully, he is in good form and got checked out in the evening.”

Dame Laura Kenny has called for bigger barriers or screens to be fitted in velodromes in response to the crash that saw two other riders – the Isle of Man’s Matt Bostock and Canada’s Derek Gee –also taken to hospital, while two spectators were treated for minor injuries at the velodrome.

The five-time Olympic champion, who believes crashes are getting worse, said: “Maybe there should be screens because Matt should not have been able to go over the top and into the crowd, that’s pretty damn dangerous.

“It’s the third time now I’ve been in a velodrome and witnessed someone go over the top… “(Matt) was laughing and making jokes with the paramedics which is brilliant to hear but if he’d (not gone over) he would have done less damage and certainly done less damage to the little girl”.

Following the crash, a statement from Team England said: “Following medical treatment in hospital, Matt Walls has been discharged with stitches in his forehead, scrapes and bruises but thankfully no major injuries.

“We send our best wishes to all other riders and spectators involved in the crash and thank the medical teams for their expert care.”

Canadian Mathias Guillemette was disqualified from the race for causing the initial crash.