FRANKIE Bunn lamented Lady Luck firmly deserted his Oldham Athletic troops as they were frustrated by struggling Notts County.

The Latics were unable to instantly return to winning ways as they were held to a goalless draw at Meadow Lane, finding Magpies goalie Ross Fitzsimons in inspired form.

Bunn, whose side were edged out 3-2 at Stevenage last weekend, praised most facets of Oldham’s display – but was left to bemoan the fine margins that forced the Latics to settle for a share of the spoils.

“First and foremost, I’m delighted with a clean sheet,” said Bunn.

“Secondly, I thought the application, determination and the performance was very good, and thirdly, we couldn’t finish good approach work.

“It was a good performance away from home with a clean sheet, and all that was missing was a couple of goals. I’m not being biased there – it could have been three or four.

“We’ve done great up until the opposition’s box again. It might just be a bit of luck that we need now.

“The Notts County keeper was very busy. He performed well.

“I think we breached the back line on numerous occasions and just couldn’t get that final touch.

“But I’m delighted with the response, certainly from Saturday, where I thought we were good again and created a lot of chances.

“You can’t fault any single one of them because they all put everything in and we just need a goal.”

County keeper Fitzsimons saved from Ishmael Miller, Andy Taylor, Peter Clarke and Dan Gardner either side of half time during the stalemate at Meadow Lane.

Robert Milsom’s dangerous cross before two minutes was just missed by Nathan Thomas for the hosts.

At the other end, for the Latics, Jonathan Benteke cut inside from the left and fired a low eighth minute effort at goal which Fitzsimons dealt with.

Clarke cut out a dangerous 13th-minute Thomas cross while Elliott Ward’s later header was cleared by the Oldham rearguard.

Miller had a great chance to put Oldham in front on the quarter-hour after going one-on-one but Fitzsimons got down low to his left to claw away his effort.

Robert Hunt got in down the right for the visitors and delivered a dangerous low 23rd-minute cross for Callum Lang at the near post who could not connect with the low ball.

The Magpies could have gone ahead after Jamie Turley met Thomas’s free kick at the far post but fired over while Miller shot off target at the other end before the half hour.

Fitzsimons was called into action twice in quick succession 10 minutes from the break – first, a reaction stop from Taylor’s effort before parrying Clarke’s powerful header to safety.

Milsom let fly from distance two minutes before the break for the Magpies but it sailed harmlessly over before a low cross from Taylor at the other end was diverted to safety.

After the break, Gevaro Nepomuceno’s cross was headed wide by Lang as the Latics began positively, Fitzsimons parrying the Wigan Athletic loanee’s follow-up shot wide after he was fed in by Gardner.

Oldham had another superb opportunity to take the lead as Gardner’s corner was headed just over by a free Samuel Edmundson.

At the other end, the Latics had Daniel Iversen to thank after Enzio Boldewijn wriggled through the Oldham defence and forced the goalkeeper into a stop to keep the game goalless.

A 74th-minute Nepomuceno corner was put back into the danger area for Miller, who shot off target while under pressure, while Fitzsimons tipped Gardner’s later curling effort over.

And Boldewijn could have nicked all three points at the death for Notts but his close-range effort bobbled off the post.

Notts County (4-2-3-1): Fitzsimons, Turley, Brisley, Ward, Evina, Milsom, Hewitt, Boldewijn, Allesandra, Thomas, Dennis (Duffy 60)

Subs not used: Pindroch, Tootle, Hawkridge, Davies, Dunn, Etete

Oldham Athletic (4-3-3): Iverson 6, Hunt 7, Clarke 7, Edmundson 7, Taylor 6, Lang 7, Gardner 7, Lyden 6, Miller 6 (Baxter 80 5), Benteke 6 (O’Grady 85 5), Nepomuceno 7

Subs not used: McFarlane, Dummigan, Missilou, Graham, Maouche

Referee: Ollie Yates

Attendance: 4,487 (296 away)