THE hairdryer treatment had the desired effect but Oldham chief Frankie Bunn does not want to have to resort to the big guns too often.

The Latics returned to winning ways in League Two with a 3-1 victory over Cambridge United but only after a half-time rocket from the Boundary Park boss.

George Edmundson, Jordan Lyden and Callum Lang all notched in the second period after Oldham had trailed 1-0 at the break – but Bunn would rather see a few less Houdini acts.

“I can’t repeat what I said at half time. They were strong words, of course, but we got the response – it’s the second time we’ve done that and thankfully, we’ve had two responses,” he said.

“But we don’t want to be doing that too often. 

“We know we’ve got quality in the squad and second half, where did that come from?

“It was full of aggression. We were direct, we were more powerful, and we just woke up second half and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

“We upped everything. We were quicker in everything we did.

“We were on the front foot – everything we want from the first whistle.

“There was a response but me being greedy, as always, we shouldn’t be like that. That’s how we should start games and people will become fearful of us.”

Lyden scored from the halfway line as Oldham produced an explosive second-half comeback.

After Monday’s late FA Cup win at Hampton and Richmond, the Latics had to come from behind again after George Maris’ brilliant early goal. 

But Edmundson equalised after the break, Lyden pounced on a poor clearance to put Oldham in front and FA Cup hero Lang rounded things off. 

Bunn made two enforced changes from Monday night, with Jose Baxter injured and Daniel Iversen on international duty with Denmark’s Under-21s.

Baxter, who could be out until the New Year, was replaced by Johan Branger while Alex Palmer – signed on a seven-day emergency loan from West Brom – started in goal. 

Palmer could do nothing to stop Cambridge’s opening goal on seven minutes, though, Maris finding space 25 yards out and firing into the top corner. 

With the Latics’ defence backing off, Paul Lewis was next to try his luck from distance for Cambridge but his curling right-footed effort dipped just over on the quarter-hour. 

Jabo Ibehre then released Maris with a delicate through ball on 17 minutes but Palmer was out quick to save one-handed. 

Cambridge’s bright start did not last as the game settled but Oldham continued to struggle to find any rhythm. 

Long balls to Ishmael Miller did not stick, with George Taft dominating the aerial battle at the back. 

Dan Gardner’s cross bounced for Andy Taylor at the back post on 42 minutes but Lewis threw himself in front of the shot to block. 

The Latics posed more problems after the break, though, and Cameron Dummigan shot well over from just inside the area when Gardner’s 54th-minute corner was only half-cleared. 

Edmondson headed in the equaliser on 61 minutes, glancing Gardner’s vicious outswinging corner beyond David Forde from six yards. 

The visitors initially responded well to the goal and Maris pounced on a loose ball to shoot from distance three minutes later but this time it was always curling wide. 

Lyden struck on 76 minutes though, when Forde raced out of his goal to tidy up a loose ball but cleared straight to the Latics midfielder, striking into the empty net from halfway. 

Lang then found space on the right of the area on 80 minutes and unleashed a fierce shot high into the net to seal the win. 

Oldham Athletic (4-1-3-2): Palmer 7, Hunt 6, Clarke 6, Edmundson 7, Taylor 6, Lyden 8, Dummigan 4 (Surridge 70, 6), Gardner 6 (Maouche 67, 6), Branger 5, Miller 6, Lang 7.

Subs not used: McFarlane, O’Grady, Missilou, Graham, Hamer.

Cambridge United (4-3-1-2): Forde 5, Halliday 7 (John 49, 6), Taylor 6, Taft 7, Carroll 6, Deegan 6, Lewis 7 (Dunk 78, 6), Maris 7, Brown 6, Azeez 6 (Amoo 71, 6), Ibehre 7.

Subs not used: Mitov, Osadebe, Darling, Davies.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse.

Attendance: 3,818.