Tranmere Rovers 1 (Jennings 72)

Oldham Athletic 1 (Branger 40)

FRANKIE Bunn praised the effort of his Oldham players despite them missing several good chances to take all three points at Tranmere.

Johan Branger struck shortly before the break as the visitors took a deserved lead for an impressive performance in the opening half, and spurned several promising opportunities to make the game safe as Tranmere struggled to find a foothold in the contest.

But Connor Jennings pounced with 18 minutes left on the clock to make the visitors pay and rescue a 1-1 draw for the home side.

It was an impressive display from the Latics against promotion-chasing Rovers, and manager Bunn was quick to hail the heart shown from his charges throughout the clash, believing they should have been heading back to Boundary Park with all three points.

“The players showed passion, knowhow, knowledge and desire – everything we asked of them,” he said.

“They came out of the blocks, set the tempo and stuck to it and we put Tranmere to the sword.

“Tranmere have only lost once here but I felt we should have had all three points.

“It was a tough game, and an end-to-end battle and quite physical.

“We had a couple of clearcut chances that, if we were a little bit sharper, maybe we should have finished, but overall it was a pleasing performance.

“Our luck will change. We are getting better and we are setting a good standard of performance.

“We have to start getting over the line and we are improving so hopefully we'll get there.

“The fans were always behind the lads, which was terrific. The players thrived on that and I think it improved their performance.”

Branger put the Latics in front five minutes before half time, reacting quickest to Gevaro Nepomuceno's deflected corner and firing the ball into the net in the middle of a static Rovers defence.

In response, James Norwood flashed a 25-yard free kick narrowly wide of the post just a minute after the interval.

And Jennings fired straight at Latics keeper Daniel Iverson as Tranmere enjoyed a good spell early in the second period.

But some sloppy Rovers play allowed Branger to get another sight on goal, with Scott Davies this time equal to the effort of the Oldham man.

Norwood put another shot high over Iverson's crossbar on 57 minutes, and Jennings missed a golden chance to equalise on the hour when Clarke managed to deflect his effort away for a corner.

Ishmael Miller had a chance to double Oldham's lead but failed to test Davies as Tranmere breathed a sigh of relief.

And Rovers fans then had Davies to thank when he denied Paul Mullin who found himself with just the keeper to beat moments later.

But they were soon jumping for joy as Jennings made Oldham rue their missed opportunities, smashing the ball home as Bunn's men failed to clear their lines from a 72nd-minute corner.

Banks then fired wide from the edge of the Oldham penalty area as Rovers sought a second goal, but neither side could snatch a winner in a frantic finish.

The result left the Latics 13th in League Two with 25 points and Rovers in the play-off zone on goal difference in seventh on 31.


Tranmere (4-4-2): Davies 8, Bakayogo 6, Monthe 7, McNulty 7, Caprice 6, Jennings 7, Banks 5, McCullough 6, Mottley-Henry 5, Mullin 5 (Stockton 87), Norwood 6.

Not used: George, Ridehalgh, Sutton, Harris, Smith, Gilmour.

Oldham (4-4-2): Iverson 7, Taylor 7, Clarke 7, Edmondson 6, Hunt 6, Nepomuceno 6, Gardner 6, Lyden 5 (Missilou 87), Branger 8 (Surridge 64 5), Miller 5 (O'Grady 79 6), Lang 7.

Not used: Dummigan, Graham, Maouche, McFarlane.

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Attendance: 7,150