LATICS midfielder Jose Baxter rued the lack of VAR usage in the FA Cup as a pair of contentious decisions helped hand Doncaster a 2-1 victory.

The game exploded into life late on at the Keepmoat but before that the sides had gone into the break goalless, with Dan Iversen and skipper Peter Clarke performing heroically to keep the League One side out.

The deadlock was broken on 68 minutes as Ben Whiteman hit the Latics on the break, only for Clarke to equalise six minutes from time.

But a cruel twist was to come, with referee Peter Bankes awarding a penalty and Whiteman converting – Clarke then sent off in stoppage time to compound the misery.

“I’ve just heard that a few of the lads have seen it and it is not a penalty,” commented Baxter. “The referee gave a penalty with the linesman not knowing who actually handballed it.

“We’re struggling when stuff like that happens but it’s just one of them things in football that happens.

“For the sending off, Clarkey said he jumped up for the ball and caught the keeper with his elbow. I think he got sent off for standing on the keeper’s back, which he’s looked back at and hasn’t stood on the keeper’s back – so again another one that needs addressing.

“With a massive cup like the FA Cup is, you’d think that VAR would come in but it’s just one of those things, it keeps everyone talking and keeps the papers going.

“But for us it’s just disappointing because there is a lot on the line.

"It’s people’s livelihoods, it’s the money that comes in for the club and everything that comes with it but sometimes they don’t see that.”

Iverson made stunning saves early on from James Coppinger and Paul Downing but those saves were soon bettered by veteran Oldham skipper Clarke clearing off the line.

Oldham were hit on the break midway through the second half, Whiteman’s shot deflecting off Clarke’s head to leave Iversen standing as the ball hit the back of the net.

Clarke then equalised as he fired home a rebound from Gevaro Nepomuceno’s free kick, before the penalty decision and the skipper then being removed for a second yellow.