THERE were mixed feelings for Oldham boss Paul Scholes as his side drew 1-1 against Stevenage at Boundary Park after surrendering their lead in the 91st minute.

Jose Baxter’s sublime long-range effort handed the Latics the advantage after the break as Oldham looked to be ending a three-match winless streak.

But Boro substitute Kurtis Guthrie headed home in stoppage time to ensure the spoils were shared after Chris Missilou had failed to clear the lines.

After the draw, Scholes commented: "I was really pleased with the way we played – I thought we were really good.

“We didn’t quite have the quality at times but it was a great goal from Jose and we had a couple of half chances after that.

“In the main, I was really pleased, but I’m obviously really disappointed with the goal at the end, as you’re going to be.

“We need to cut them type of mistakes out. Chris (Missilou) has been good for us for five games and he knows he should have cleared the ball down the line and got us up the pitch, but we need to manage games better.

"We’re just falling short at the minute.”

George Edmundson’s mistake in possession let in the rapid Illias Chair after six minutes, but the centre-back recovered to put the Stevenage man off.

Good work from Zak Dearnley found Gevaro Nepomuceno, who in turn teed up the Manchester United loanee on the edge of the box for a rasping effort which curled over before 10 minutes.

Nepomuceno cut inside himself shortly after for a low drive which Paul Farman dealt with, while Luke Wilkinson could not direct Joel Byrom’s free kick goalwards at the other end.

Latics stopper Daniel Iversen kept the contest goalless on 20 minutes after parrying Chair’s free kick to safety, as Wilkinson again headed wide from a follow-up cross.

Winger Nepomuceno’s cross was met by Callum Lang on 25 minutes but the Wigan loanee’s effort sailed harmlessly wide as clear-cut chances remained scarce.

The Boro had a decent chance to take the lead four minutes before the break but substitute Guthrie headed Chair’s corner over from close range.

Iversen and the woodwork came to Oldham’s rescue just before half time when Boro captain Revell’s sweetly-struck effort was tipped onto the bar by the Latics stopper.

But the hosts took the lead moments after the restart when Nepomuceno found Baxter in space and the former Everton youngster turned to fire past Farman from 25 yards.

Oldham came close to doubling their advantage after 55 minutes when Nepomuceno’s low delivery fizzed dangerously across goal but Lang could not apply the finishing touch.

Nepomuceno broke forward and cut into the box to unleash a fierce left-footed effort 10 minutes from the end as Farman dove to keep the deficit at one.

A free Mohamed Maouche could have added a late second three minutes before full time but could not control Dearnley’s low cross.

But the Boro snatched a point at the death when Guthrie headed home a 91st-minute Chair corner despite Iversen's best efforts, stunning Boundary Park.

And it could have been worse for the Latics after Chair rattled the bar even later on with a curling freekick.

Scholes added: "We just needed that second goal. In this league, if you don’t get that second goal, teams just don’t go away from you.

“They’ll play for free-kicks and for corners and they’ll knock the ball in the box. It makes it difficult for yourself, but I like playing with wide men. I thought the two wide men got in great positions today but just lacked that final bit.

"We have to learn from that. We have to learn to manage games better and finish games better if we’re going to do anything."


Oldham (4-1-4-1): Iversen 7, Hamer 6, Edmundson 6, Clarke 6, Hunt 6, Missilou 6, Nepomuceno 7, Maouche 7, Baxter 8 (Afolayan 81 5), Dearnley 6, Lang 6.

Subs not used: De la Paz, Coke, O’Grady, Sefil, Branger, Sylla.

Stevenage (4-3-3): Farman, Wildin, Cuthbert, Wilkinson (Sonupe 65), Hunt, Timlin (Henry 57), Byrom (Guthrie 28), Iontton, Chair, Revell, Makasi.

Subs not used: Byrne, Gibson, Smyth, Martin.

Referee: Christopher Sarginson.

Attendance: 3,807.