TEENAGE winger Harry Maders, centre Zack McComb and hooker Matty Wilkinson each scored a hat-trick of tries as the rampant Roughyeds cruised into the fourth round of the Coral Challenge Cup.

To be brutally honest it really was as one-sided as the score suggests.

The amateurs from up the East Lancs Road could not live with Oldham’s pace, speed of thought and movement and quality ball transition which unmercifully stretched the visitors’ defence nearly every time the home side was in possession.

Full-back Kyran Johnson raced in for two tries and others were scored by Anthony Bowman, Emmerson Whittel and Adam Brook, who also kicked beautifully in high winds to land a dozen conversions from 14 attempts.

Half-backs Brook and Bowman were the architects of an attacking performance that suggests Oldham might do well in their twin cup adventure this year, featuring the Challenge Cup and the new 1895 Cup.

Notwithstanding the many deficiencies in Haydock’s rearguard action, Roughyeds looked a class act at times, despite fielding a line-up without club captain Gareth Owen, full-back Ritchie Hawkyard, centre Danny Grimshaw, winger Lee Kershaw, half-back Dave Hewitt, prop Luke Nelmes and suspended second-rower Danny Bridge.

Little wonder Roughyeds coach Scott Naylor believes he has the best and strongest squad he has had in his seven years at the club.

Space requirements prevent detailed description of each of the 14 tries but, suffice to say, they were nearly all the result of good, crisp attacking rugby, slick handling and razor-sharp backing up.

Maders had a dream debut on the left wing, scoring his first ever Challenge Cup try inside nine minutes when Brook’s cut-out pass to the left put Jack Holmes clear up the touchline.

The young winger instinctively moved inside and took his centre’s final pass to get Oldham off the mark.

He went on to score two further tries in the second half, the first thanks to Brook’s perfectly-flighted cross-kick and the second when he finished off a smart right-to-left shift to get over in the corner.

His hat-trick try capped an accomplished first game at senior level. He never put a foot wrong and looked big enough – and good enough – to be an important member of Naylor’s squad.

Holmes captained the side in Owen’s absence, while Brook was given the kicking job in order to give Hewitt a rest.

Oldham led 42-0 at half time and it was 64-0 before Haydock scored their first try, scored by prop Scott Johnson and goaled by Steve Jones.

It was 74-6 before the amateurs scored again, Jordan Gibson crossing for an unconverted try.

Oldham wrapped it all up four minutes from the end when McComb completed his hat-trick and Brook added the goal.