DINO Maamria celebrated a “fantastic day for Oldham” as his first game in charge of Latics saw them record their first home league win of the season, beating Morecambe 3-1.

Mohamed Maouche and Desire Segbe Azankpo put the Latics 2-0 up and, after Shaun Miller pulled one back with 12 minutes to go, Jonny Smith sealed victory late on at Boundary Park.

Victory leaves Oldham in 20th on 10 points and Maamria couldn’t hide his delight at putting a turbulent week for the club to bed in the best possible manner.

“My first thought is ‘what a performance’ – from the players, from the fans, I thought it was a fantastic day for Oldham,” he said.

“We’ve [only] won a game, it’s a long journey yet, but it’s a great start.

“We need the fans back here and I thought those fans that turned up will have seen a very, very good team going forward on the front foot, pressing from the front – an outstanding performance.

“As a team, it was a terrific performance. It was a brilliant performance from everyone.”

Such was the whirlwind of Laurent Banide’s sacking and Maamria’s appointment at the end of the week, the Frenchman’s notes were still in the match-day programme.

But whatever Maamria said in his first pre-match team talk seemed to have an effect, as Oldham took the game to Morecambe from the off.

Johan Branger-Engone’s backheel teed up the rampaging Zak Mills in the second minute, but the full-back shot tamely at Barry Roche.

Christopher Missilou then arrived late to meet Filipe Morais’ brilliant right-wing cross on nine minutes, but his free header from the penalty spot was well over.

Oldham’s positive start was rewarded on 33 minutes though, when Mills stood a cross up left-footed and Maouche timed his run to perfection to head in from close range.

Morecambe’s best chance of the half came in stoppage time, meanwhile – Mohamad Sylla’s trip on the edge of the box presenting Adam Buxton with a free-kick, but Mills blocked his powerful low shot.

Azankpo then doubled the lead on 51 minutes, controlling Mills’ inch-perfect right-wing cross before firing high into the net.

At the other end, George Tanner cut inside on 53 minutes but dragged a low right-footed shot wide from 20 yards.

Morecambe, then, pulled one back on 78 minutes – substitute A-Jay Leitch-Smith beating David Wheater and crossing for fellow replacement Miller to tap in from close range.

Oldham had multiple chances to restore the two-goal lead – Branger-Engone curling wide on 80 minutes, before Azankpo miscued his attempted backheel four minutes later.

But they sealed victory on 89 minutes, Branger playing Smith in who slotted into the far corner, and Maamria admitted he was relieved Oldham were able to hold on having appeared nervy while he also looked to the challenge he faces ahead.

He added: “When it went to 2-1, my message was to calm them down and keep doing what we were doing.

“I can see why we have been leading 2-0 and ended up drawing games – we took our foot off the gas. It’s a learning process and my message after the game was [next time] to go for the throat.

“It’s a big responsibility. These fans are backing me, so I need to make sure I repay them.

“Hopefully that’s the start of something big to come. Again, we're not getting carried away, but it’s a very, very good start and we can build on that.

“Every game is difficult in League Two and we can’t let up. We’ve got to keep driving forward – full throttle – and that’s the message.”

Oldham Athletic (4-1-3-2): De la Paz 6, Mills 8, Wheater 7, Hamer 6, Iacovitti 6, Sylla 7, Morais 6 (Smith 71, 7), Missilou 6, Branger-Engone 7, Maouche 7, Azankpo 7.

Subs not used: Zabret, Smith-Brown, Stott, Wilson, Fage, Eagles.

Morecambe (4-4-2): Roche, Buxton, Old, Lavelle, Tanner, O’Sullivan, Wildig, Tutte (Cranston 85), Oates (Leitch-Smith 46), Alessandra, Stockton (Miller 71).

Subs not used: Halstead, Kenyon, Ellison, Bakare.

Referee: Leigh Doughty

Attendance: 3,305