A SCINTILLATING display of attacking play proved too good for Oldham on Saturday evening as Matt Diskin’s side were soundly beaten 58-6 by Toulouse Olympique.

Despite the best efforts of the men in red and white hoops, backed-up by a band of hardy Roughyed supporters who didn’t stop singing all night, 11 French tries were run in by the hosts, against a solitary effort from Oldham’s Matty Fletcher, statistics which tell their own story.

Joe Bretherton and Paul Marcon both scored hat-tricks for the home side.

Paul White, Junior Vaivai, James Bell, Bastien Ader and William Barthau all grabbed a try each, with Mark Kheirallah adding seven goals.

Dan Abram converted Fletcher’s try in response for Oldham.

The Stade Ernest-Wallon, home of successful rugby union club Stade Toulousain, is the new home for Sylvain Houles’ promotion-chasing side and they took full advantage of the stadium’s new hybrid surface.

Bastien Ader opened the scoring in the 11th minute, following the first penalty in the match, and from that point the home side were always in control.

Further ties from James Bell and Paul Macron gave Olympique an 18-0 half-time


The second half resumed in much the same vein as the first had ended, with Toulouse doubling their score to 36 before Fletcher crashed over in the 65th minute to put points on the board for the visitors.

Any Oldham thoughts of a remarkable comeback were quashed in the final quarter, however, as Toulouse ran in four further tries to complete the scoring and leave Roughyed fans and players reflecting on a heavy defeat.

Following the defeat, Oldham chairman Chris Hamilton praised the fans who had made the long journey in tough conditions.

A statement on the club’s Twitter page said: “Thank you to all the Roughyeds fans who made the trip to Toulouse to back their team. Much appreciated.

“The official party has just got back after leaving Toulouse at 9am UK time.

“Some fans not made it due to their flights being cancelled due to Storm Ciara.”

Meanwhile, the draw for the fourth round of the Challenge Cup has been made at The Shay, home of Halifax RLFC.

The most high-profile result of the previous round saw Underbank Rangers of the NCL Premier Division beat West Wales Raiders of League One. Their reward is a trip to Bradford Bulls.

The British Army have also caught the eye, as they will travel to either Rochdale Hornets or York Acorn in round four.

Roughyeds have been handed an away tie, at fellow Championship side Widnes Vikings, who they faced on the opening day of the league season but fell to a 36-6 defeat after promotion.

Halifax-based Siddal have managed to get a home tie in the next round, as they host the winners of the re-arranged tie between Keighley Cougars and Newcastle Thunder.

Leigh Miners Rangers have been drawn at a Championship team, as they make a short trip to face Swinton Lions.

Fourth-round ties, to be played February 22/23: Rochdale Hornets or York Acorn v British Army, Whitehaven v Dewsbury Rams, North Wales Crusaders v Hunslet, Sheffield Eagles v Halifax, Workington Town or West Bowling v Doncaster, Bradford Bulls v Underbank Rangers, Featherstone Rovers v Barrow Raiders or London Skolars, London Broncos v York City Knights, Swinton Lions v Leigh Miners Rangers, Leigh Centurions v Batley Bulldogs, Siddal v Keighley Cougars, Widnes Vikings v Oldham.