LATICS missed out on a home clash with Newcastle United as they exited the Carabao Cup at Morecambe on Tuesday night.

Aaron Wildig’s first-half strike proved enough to hand the Shrimps a 1-0 victory in the second round tie at the Mazuma Stadium and set up a meeting with the Magpies.

Harry Kewell’s side did press late on, Carl Piergianni going close with a header, but it proved too little, too late for the visitors.

Despite Oldham’s exit, that made it two defeats in three competitive games this season, the Australian was largely happy with what he saw from his side.

“I thought the performance was excellent, especially second half,” he said.

“We caused our own problems I felt. Morecambe are well organised and had a gameplan.

“I felt we dealt with that but we made three or four bad decisions in the first half which ultimately cost us.

“Second half they were always going to sit back and try and counter but we dealt with that.

“There were one or two opportunities they had but our creativity in the final third we just missed that final edge but we’re getting closer.

“I’m so happy with the way they approached the second half.”

Wildig broke the deadlock after 22 minutes by running on to Liam McAlinden’s neat through ball and lifting his effort over on-rushing goalkeeper Ian Lawlor from 10 yards out.

The goal proved the decisive moment in a game that saw both teams play some neat football without creating too many chances.

Debutant Andrea Badan did go close for Latics when he dribbled past two defenders inside the 18-yard box before unleashing low strike at goal, but it went just past the far post.

Burnley loanee Ryan Cooney came close to doubling Morecambe’s lead in the first half with a long-range strike that dipped sharply before hitting the crossbar.

Meanwhile, another player borrowed from the Clarets in Adam Phillips just missed the target in the second period with a low shot that sailed inches wide of the left-hand post as the home side pressed to increase their advantage.

Oldham’s best efforts came in the closing stages and captain Piergianni came close to taking the game to penalties with an 88th-minute header that flew just over the Morecambe crossbar.

The home side were left hanging on at the end but stood firm to the delight of boss Derek Adams who admitted the Shrimps had been made to work for their meeting with the Magpies next week.

He said: “The way we opened them up in the first half was excellent and we could have had more goals but we didn’t get the second and they threw everything at us late on and we had to defend really well.

“We kept going on though and it was a fantastic win and we can all look forward to a tie against Newcastle next week.

“It’s a massive shame that there won’t be any fans because it would have been a a huge occasion but we are delighted to be there.”