Harry Kewell hailed his battling Oldham side as they came from behind to defeat high-flying Cheltenham 2-1 at Boundary Park.

The Latics head coach was also hugely relieved after his side finally notched a first home league win of the season at the sixth attempt.

George Blackwood’s first goal for the club cancelled out old boy Reuben Reid’s opener before Arsenal loanee Harry Clarke netted a late winner.

Kewell said: “It was a fantastic win for us. The overall performance was excellent from the kick-off.

“We had an important gameplan and the lads executed it to perfection, I thought.

“It was a performance full of hard work and concentration, and in the end I thought we fully deserved to win.

“We knew beforehand that Cheltenham were dangerous opposition, but we’ve come back at them and secured a really important three points.

“It has been a tough start to the season, but we’ll get through this. We’ll get through this as a team.

“It’s about fighting for everything and giving it your all, and I think everyone can see that these players are fighting so hard for this club.”

Kewell went on to salute Dylan Bahamboula, who starred after coming on to replace injury victim Zak Dearnley early in the game.

“It was a real blow to lose Zak so early,” added Kewell. “But Dylan is a real handful and he had a terrific game.

“He just adds something different. He’s a real talent when he’s in the mood like he was tonight.

“We’re delighted to have players like him on the bench ready to come on and make a difference.”

Latics were already without Carl Piergianni after it was confirmed pre-match that the captain needs to self-isolate for 14 days after a close family member tested positive for Covid-19.

Oldham almost scored after eight seconds though when Dearnley met Callum Whelan’s through-ball, only to then fire straight at goalkeeper Josh Griffiths.

Jordan Barnett then fired inches over for the hosts, before Cheltenham struck after half an hour.

Alfie May pulled a cross back for ex-Oldham striker Reid, and he controlled smartly before slotting home from 10 yards.

Four minutes later the hosts levelled matters when Australian Blackwood bundled home a rebound after Griffiths could only parry a shot from Bahamboula.

Shortly after the restart Cheltenham defender Chris Hussey fizzed a low shot narrowly wide.

Oldham replied with skipper for the night Tom Hamer seeing a flicked header bounced behind off the top of the crossbar on his 100th appearance for the club.

Cheltenham’s Andy Williams saw an 80th minute effort hacked off the line by Clarke, who went on to settle the contest six minutes later. The Gunners prospect pounced after Danny Rowe’s header was cleared off the line.