HARRY Kewell felt Bournemouth’s class ultimately told as Latics saw a good first half performance come to nothing in their FA Cup exit at the Vitality Stadium.

The Championship side prevailed 4-1 in the third round tie but not after the visitors in a game switched to the south coast, due to concerns over the Boundary Park pitch, had given them a real scare in the opening 45 minutes.

Oldham saw chances come and go before David Brooks put the hosts in front just before half-time, there still enough time in the first period for Dylan Bahamboula to swiftly level things up from the penalty spot.

But Jason Tindall’s Cherries pulled clear in the second period, Josh King scoring twice with Rodrigo Riquelme also on target.

Kewell was full of praise for his players’ efforts though.

“It was a scrappy second goal and then we lost our complacency in a period of about 10 or 15 minutes. I think then that’s where they got us,” he said.

“Other than that I can’t fault my players. I thought in the first half I was quite surprised that we weren’t leading.

“I didn’t think they caused us any problems and we had enough chances to take the lead.

“Credit to them, they stuck to the game and the quality that they have in their team prevailed in the end.”

Latics, without the injured Danny Rowe and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, made a fast start, as Bahmaboula cut in from the right side of the box to slam a shot into the side netting after only 70 seconds.

The Cherries’ debutant keeper Will Dennis, one of 10 changes from their last Championship outing, was quickly forced into his first professional save when he flung himself to his left to tip away Carl Piergianni’s header from a corner

Jordan Barnett then left Dennis flailing at fresh air in the 37th minute but his curled effort smashed into the inside of the post.

The last two minutes of the half proved topsy-turvy as both sides found the net.

In the 43rd minute, Brooks’ deflected effort beat Ian Lawlor from the edge of the area. But Latics hit back moments later as Davis Keillor-Dunn was awarded a penalty by referee Andy Woolmer.

Forward Keillor-Dunn had turned Jack Simpson before he was taken out by Dennis and Bahamboula made no mistake to celebrate his second Oldham goal.

Riquelme only needed two minutes of the second half to put Bournemouth back ahead however when he poked in a half-defended low cross from Jack Stacey.

The Cherries dominated the second half and could have extended their lead when Brooks scuffed wide before King’s strike was blocked away by Lawlor.

King finally gave his side breathing space in the 74th minute as he leapt highest to meet Adam Smith’s cross.

He doubled his tally with a low finish into the bottom corner late on as Latics bowed out of the FA Cup for another year.