THERE has been yet more off-field drama at Boundary Park this week, and there was little to detract from it on the field as Latics slipped to their worst ever home record with a Good Friday defeat against in-form Stevenage.

The damage had of course been done before Keith Curle's arrival last month. But the head coach was disappointed with the goal conceded that led to Oldham suffering a 13th home league defeat this season, and also the missed chances to get something from the game.

Curle has worked hard in a short space of time to run a tighter ship. But Scott Cuthbert was left unmarked at a first-half corner to head in what proved to be the winner.

It could have been worse for Latics, who once more had Laurie Walker to thank for keeping the scoreline down.

His superb save from Luke Norris' second-half penalty could have been turning point. But Latics could not use it as a springboard to get back into the game, despite chances falling to Callum Whelan and Davis Keillor-Dunn in the aftermath, while Alfie McCalmont had ample opportunity to continue his recent scoring streak.

But it just did not happen for any of them in front of goal, and that proved a huge source of frustration to Curle, who has spoken of the need for improvements in the final third in particular.

Keillor-Dunn had looked a certainty to grab a last-gasp equaliser, but when it bounced off Luther James-Wildin, with the defender knowing nothing about his vital intervention, it summed up Latics' afternoon.

Stevenage are one of the form teams in the division and arrived at Boundary Park on a 10-game unbeaten run.

But they are not the most prolific travellers, with 10 draws the most of any team on the road in League Two. The last four have been goalless, but in the 24th minute they bucked that trend.

After near misses for Norris and Chris Lines, Ben Coker sent his corner over to the far right post, where Cuthbert was afforded time and space to pick his spot, and he used it to maximum effect as he thumped a header across Walker's goal and into the net.

Stevenage had looked a threat from set pieces, making it all the more frustrating that Latics had not been alert to this one.

In response Keillor-Dunn produced their first shot on target, but it was comfortable for Jamie Cumming to get behind.

There was more of a test for Walker at the opposite end soon after, and the keeper was swift and brave in sliding out to thwart List.

A 1-0 deficit at the break was far from insurmountable and the returning Ben Garrity, who replaced Marcel Hilssner in the line-up, set about clawing it back.

He had been involved in some promising moves in the first half, but squandered two potential chances at the start of the second.

Hilssner replaced him midway through the second half to give the midfield more muscle and Latics quickly conjured a couple of openings.

McCalmont was unlucky that his cross for Conor McAleny was cut out by Cuthbert before it could reach the top scorer, but the midfielder's head was in his hands when the chance to test goalkeeper Cumming was missed.

The ball switched sides between Nicky Adams, Andrea Badan and back again before dropping for McCalmont inside the box. The midfielder has hit scoring form of late - with some stunning goals to boot - but he failed to add to his recent repertoire, and with his head in his hands he knew he should have done better than volley over.

Stevenage were awarded a contentious penalty soon after when Kyle Jameson was judged to have brought down the lively List.

Walker - a hit at Latics since his emergency loan from MK Dons - pulled off yet another remarkable save to deny Norris, who then hit the post with his follow-up before Latics cleared their lines.

A let-off, or justice? Either way Curle's men needed to make it count. But they had not brought their shooting boots, and it was not to be.

Whelan skied a chance in the box, substitute Dylan Fage sent a low, speculative shot wide across goal, and Keillor-Dunn - with the pick of the lot - was somehow denied from close range.