Micky Mellon hoped to have been given a selection headache. Instead the Oldham Athletic boss was left scratching his head after being knocked out of the FA Trophy by a team two levels below them, but a level above in every department on the day.

Quite simply, Hendon FC wanted it more.

They have had a tough time of things in the league recently, but they have found solace in the Trophy.

In contrast, Latics have picked up in the league, picking up enough points over the festive period to move into the play-off positions - results which included Mellon's first home National League win since taking charge in October.

The remit was to back that up in whatever competition they were faced with, by the personnel picked.

Granted, some players were not played in their preferred positions, there was no natural flow to their football, and Mellon admitted after the game that the buck stops with him - going as far as to offer an apology. But there is enough quality in the camp to not be concerned by teams two levels beneath them regardless of who is playing where.

This was Hendon's first away tie of the tournament, and really there could have been no bigger stage for them other than Wembley Stadium itself. But rather than be intimidated by it, they took to it, and the team from the capital dished out some real punishment, while the team that Mellon had assembled in an effort to give game time to some players for whom it has been sparse, and an opportunity to force themselves into his first team thoughts, largely failed to rise to that challenge.

Dan Ward was one of only a few players to emerge with any credit with his willingness to get on the ball and make something happen from the off, but those efforts were not mirrored enough in the rest of the side.

Ethan Walker, on his debut following a loan move from Blackburn, caught the eye a couple of times, but goalkeeper Bradley House caught his shots.

Liam Hogan missed the best chance, blazing over from close range after Dan Gardner's corner was flicked on by Charlie Raglan, while Kurt Willoughby whipped a free kick over the wall but over the bar also.

Latics ended an uninspiring first half on top and should have stepped things up in the second half, especially after Hendon lost the impressive House to injury before the hour.

But the minnows showed their might and took a 67th minute lead through Joe White, capitalising on some flimsy defending by receiving a square pass and firing past Magnus Norman after Will Sutton had misjudged the bounce of a goal kick.

It led to the introduction of new signing Tom Conlon, with Mellon fast-tracking the midfielder's debut out of necessity than design. He had planned to wait for the next league game.

There were some much needed urgency, with Conlon at the heart of it after a triple substitution which also included top scorer James Norwood and left back Mark Kitching.

It paid off with an equaliser from the penalty spot in stoppage time, won by Walker, scored by Norwood to make it 15 for the season.

But just when you thought a second successive FA Trophy tie would be settled by a shoot-out, Hendon hit back.

Raglan thought he had saved the day when he cleared off the line from White, who had waited for Norman to commit to the dive and rounded the keeper. But just when Latics thought they had turned a corner at home, they failed to clear a last gasp corner kick, and Niko Muir ensured the ultimate upset.