On a night when Storm Jocelyn swept through Boundary Park and the rest of the country, Oldham Athletic demonstrated just how ready they are to jostle for play-off priority.

There seems to be no stopping runaway National League leaders Chesterfield, so beyond that Latics must aim to be the best of the rest if they are to restore their Football League status. And for the first time in a long time, they look equipped to do it.

Completing a double over third placed Barnet has laid a marker down not just for the rest of the division to sit up and take notice, but inspire and instil a belief among the players themselves, and everyone in the thick of things at OL1, that this year could be their year.

James Norwood grabbed a brace for his brilliance, with both from the penalty spot, and was unlucky not to end an 11-year wait for a hat-trick.

Rarely has a player looked so hungry to take ownership of the match ball. But it was a desire that was driven from the off, having gone close to a treble in the first meeting with the Bees, with the faithful Mike Fondop again his foil.

Norwood thrived off being on the same wavelength as more of those around him, with Tom Conlon bringing the best out of fellow midfielders Josh Lundstram and Nathan Sheron in particular.

Conlon was the calm amid the storm, wanting possession, playing it safe when the need arose and playing with purpose when the opportunity presented itself to turn Oldham into the front-foot team that Micky Mellon intends.

Newest signing Andrew Dallas had a watching brief from the stands and will spend the rest of the week getting himself ready for a potential debut against Woking on Saturday.

It is a mouthwatering attacking prospect.

But credit too must go on the solid foundations on which this team is built. Goalkeeper Mat Hudson and the defenders in front of him, which on Tuesday included new wing back Sai Sachdev on his debut, have shown repeated resilience. When Harry Pritchard was afforded too much time and space in the box early on, it was all hands on deck to make sure the two efforts he had were quickly blocked.

Latics recovered and built a few attacks. Conlon went close with a 25-yard free kick for a foul on Fondop, before Norwood was pulled back on his run into the box and won the penalty which he converted, sending goalkeeper Josh Keeley the wrong way.

Fondop had a chance to make it 2-0 early in the second half with a free header from Mark Kitching's cross, but it was straight at Keeley.

A second penalty soon followed, instigated by the quick thinking of Sheron who intercepted to rob Anthony Hartigan of possession when Keeley caught Conlon's corner and tried to release the ball quickly, putting Barnet on the back foot again.

Fondop celebrated the spot kick award as if he had scored it. Norwood converted again. Of the last 10 goals he has scored, half of them have been penalties.

He came close to that elusive hat-trick, and Conlon was denied a superb free kick by the woodwork while Barnet threatened to halve the deficit.

Hudson, Shaun Hobson, Liam Hogan, Charlie Raglan and Sheron in particular put bodies on the line to preserve the points and clean sheet.

"I'm delighted for the players, but we will be back at it again on Thursday and we'll be demanding and pushing and pushing and pushing and make this Oldham team as formidable as we possibly can," said manager Mellon.

"We're not where I want us to be. We will keep going."