A HAT-TRICK of tries from prop Pat Moran set Oldham on their way for their ninth win of the season as they returned to the top of League One with a commanding 60-6 over Newcastle Thunder, writes Kasey Smith.

It took less than half an hour for Moran, who has been out since February through injury, to complete his hat-trick.

Thunder were reduced to scraps off the back of unforced Oldham errors, with the gulf in class between the two sides there for all to see.

Oldham’s forwards gained considerable amounts of territory across the game, as the young, inexperienced Thunder side struggled to deal with the power and size of the Roughyeds pack.

It took just four minutes for the Thunder defence to break when a delayed pass from hooker Matty Wildie wrongfooted Will Lintin, allowing Moran to stroll over for his first try.

Eager to make up for lost time, Moran was at it again and it was more clever work from Wildie who drew defenders in and allowed the prop to get his second.

Thunder could not get a respite and minutes later, Jay Chapelhow forced his way over just as it looked as if he had been wrapped up.

Then, a well-timed Danny Craven pass allowed Moran to ease past the diving Olly Bibby to score under the posts.

Just minutes later, Craven feigned a pass to open up a gap which he ran through to score a try of his own and Oldham’s fifth.

Before the hooter rang, new-boy Nathan Roebuck scored on debut as he ran through a gap, after being played in by Logan Astley direct from the scrum.

In the second half, Oldham picked up where they left off and it was Cian Tyrer who, in space out wide, grounded in the corner.

Barely a minute later and Oldham were in again after Craven, who looked for options left and right, ran through on his own and dived over for his second of the afternoon.

Next up it was Mackenzie Turner who scored in the corner, after a terrific delayed pass by Astley drew out defenders allowing him the space to ground over the line.

Craig Kopczak got Oldham’s tenth after ducking and diving his way past several tacklers to score.

But for the hard work of Astley, in sprinting back to deny George Birch a length of the field try, Thunder would have had their first try.

With the game heading towards its conclusion, Oldham’s indiscipline crept in when they conceded back-to-back penalties – the result of which was a Harry Price try, converted by Mackenzie Harman.

Right at the death, Oldham got another after a lofted Craven pass allowed Tyrer to score in the left corner to wrap up a comprehensive victory.

After two stuttering performances, it was back to business for Oldham while Newcastle, who keep battling, remain bottom of League One and still in search of their first win of the season.

Newcastle: goals: Harman 1/1; tries, Price

Oldham: goals: Astley 8/10, Craven 1/1; tries, Moran x3, J.Chapelhow, Craven x2, Roebuck, Tyrer x2, Turner, Kopczak


Newcastle: Jeremy; Birch, Lawther, Siddle, Croston; Bibby, Harman; Field, Lintin, Price, Bursell, Anderson, Lowery. Subs: Russell, Newbound, Rushworth, Hepple (all used).

Oldham: Laulu-Togaga’e; Turner, Roebuck, Jack Johnson, Tyrer; Craven, Astley; Farnworth, Wildie, J.Chapelhow, Hirst, Taylor, Moran. Subs: Aldridge, T.Chapelhow, Josh Johnson, Kopczak (all used).

Ref: Andy Sweet; HT: 0-36; Pens: 6-9